It wasn’t a heart attack, that much we know. It was drugs, or stupidity, or the unending demands of a superstar or the weaknesses of people who knew better. All of those things:
LOS ANGELES, Aug. 24 — Michael Jackson died in his rented mansion June 25 from a deadly dose of the powerful anesthetic drug propofol, according to an affidavit unsealed Monday…
Murray said he feared that Jackson was forming an addiction to the drug, which the singer allegedly referred to as “milk,” and that he was trying to wean him off of it. So he lowered Jackson’s propofol dosage to 25 milligrams, mixing it with two other sedatives, lorazepam and midazolam, according to the report. On June 23, two days before the singer’s death, he reportedly gave Jackson lorazepam and midazolam, withholding the propofol.
On the day Jackson died, Murray tried to induce sleep at 1:30 a.m. with Valium; at 2 a.m. with lorazepam; and at 3 a.m. with midazolam, according to the affidavit. After Murray failed to put Jackson to sleep with additional doses over the next few hours, Jackson then demanded propofol. At 10:40 a.m., the report notes, Murray administered 25 milligrams of the drug and continued to monitor Jackson for 10 minutes, until Murray left for the restroom. Murray told investigators that he returned after no more than two minutes and noticed Jackson had stopped breathing.
Between all the drugs (Ativan is lorazepam, and Versed is midazolam), the dangerous use of propofol and the shocking amount of time Dr. Murray spent on the phone while Jackson was either dying or dead, the doctor’s goose is cooked:
Coroner’s preliminary finding: Jackson overdosed on propofol
…Murray recounted to detectives in an hour-by-hour account detailed by detective Orlando Martinez of the Los Angeles Police Department:
— At about 1:30 a.m., Murray gave Jackson 10 mg of Valium.
— At about 2 a.m., he injected Jackson with 2 mg of the anti-anxiety drug Ativan.
— At about 3 a.m., Murray then administered 2 mg of the sedative Versed.
— At about 5 a.m., he administered another 2 mg of Ativan.
— At about 7:30 a.m., Murray gave Jackson yet another 2 mg of Versed while monitoring him with a device that measured the oxygen saturation of his blood.
— At about 10:40 a.m., “after repeated demands/requests from Jackson,” Murray administered 25 mg of propofol, the document said.
“Jackson finally went to sleep and Murray stated that he remained monitoring him. After approximately 10 minutes, Murray stated he left Jackson’s side to go to the restroom and relieve himself. Murray stated he was out of the room for about two minutes maximum. Upon his return, Murray noticed that Jackson was no longer breathing,” the affidavit said.
Efforts at CPR proved fruitless, according to Murray.
Shortly after Murray said he found Jackson not breathing, Murray was on the phone with three separate callers starting at 11:18 a.m. and ending at 12:05 p.m., according to the court documents which cite the doctor’s phone records.
Michael Jackson’s doctor ‘set to be charged with manslaughter’
…Dr Murray has admitted administering the powerful sedative propofol to the singer on the day he died to help him sleep.
But he claims the amount, 25 milligrams, was small and should not have been fatal.
To secure a conviction for involuntary manslaughter prosecutors will have to prove that Dr Murray acted recklessly and created a high risk of death.
He will also be asked why he didn’t tell paramedics or doctors at the UCLA hospital, where Jackson was rushed after collapsing, that he had administered propofol.
Leading US attorney Roy Black said the intensity of the two month police investigation made it inevitable that Dr Murray would be charged. He said: “I have no doubt he’s going to be indicted. Just the amount of work tells us that.”
The homicide ruling by the coroner’s office was based on forensic tests that found propofol combined with at least two other sedatives, lorazepam and midazolam, to kill Jackson.
Lee Cantrell, director of the San Diego division of the California Poison Control System, said 25 milligrams of propofol was “not a whopping amount” but in a cocktail of other sedatives may have “pushed him over the edge”.
He said: “This is horrible polypharmacy. No one will treat an insomniac like this.”